Sunday, December 25, 2011

New apartment, Birthday, and Christmas

Well, I know I promised a good romance for my next blog entry but I am realizing that I have to be in a certain mood to write about my romantic feelings and apparently that mood doesnt come often. lol. I have thought of multiple other topics to write about recently which all excite me far more than a love story at this point. And since the vast majority of my readers are friends and family, you all will forgive me for temporarily jumping over THAT topic. It would be nice if I could write a nice, organized and, best of all, chronilogical account of my time hear but I am realizing that my brain is not that organized. Many things do not come to me in the moment but much later after pondering and deliberating over my feelings or making sense of what is happening. I am going to try and make shorter and more frequent entries so that maybe certain things will make more sense.
Anyhow, last Friday I moved into a new apartment. I wasn't really feelin my previous apartment. I let Jesus find me a place while I was still in the U.S. because I was stressed to the max and decided to put some faith in my boyfriend and let him take care of all that. Meanwhile I said my goodbyes to family, friends and Bianca and stressed over my visa arriving late and me having to change my flight for 600 more $.
The old apartment turned out to be okay at first but soon water started leeking from every crevice of the house. Every time you would drop a duece in one bathroom, instead of the poop flushing down into the ground it just popped up directly into the other toilet of the other bathroom like the toilets were playing hot potato with the turds. So basically, the house always smelled like shit. And then there was my roomate, a Spaniard from Galicia, who was very friendly and outgoing but who turned out to be like a child trapped in a man's body. He took out the garbage once in 2 months and would start blasting his music in his room at 4 in the morning when he got home from his job at the hotel even though he knew I was sleeping. I almost think he subconsiously didnt want to have a roomate and thus began sabotaging our living situation. Anyhow, last friday I moved to a nicer place for the same price that is right across the street from one of the schools that I work at where I now have Wifi and sweet room that has a leather couch in it. It also has pretty, french doors and a nice, Feng Shui vibe about it. So far so good. I am feeling much better here already. I am currently living with a 22 year old French girl who is (here working on here degree and her Spanish but is due to go back home to France in 3 days), a Spanish boy (who attends the University) and the owner of the house (a Spanish lady in her 40s who is divorced and has 3 grown children who all live on their own). Soon another Spanish girl will replace the French girl and hopefully the dynamics of the house will remain nice and tranquil like they are now. So far I love it because its quiet and everyone seems responsible, respectful and seems to do their own thing..like me.
Now a little recap on my birthday in Spain. For me it was absolutely perfect. I didnt want anything big or crazy this year since I am away from so many of my friends and family which is what really makes those days fun and special. I was wanting something more low-key and private I suppose. So, my boyfriend planned everything perfectly, anticipating all my needs for that day. It was incredible because I wouldnt call him a particularly perceptive person or a good listener (sorry honey) for that matter but he certainly surprised me this time.
He sent me a text in the morning saying "Feliz cumpleanyos" and that he would be picking up around 1pm and when he gave me a "toque"(toque -one ring to signal you to do something that has been previously agreed upon in order not to waste minutes on your cell phone talking). In this case the "toque" was to signal me to come down from my apartment so that he didnt have to look or pay for parking and we would leave directly from the street in front of my place in his car. He had packed a cooler with sandwhiches, beer, wine and chopped fruit for a litte picnic in the countryside. This he did because I always complain that Spaniards don't spend enough time in nature and that I need occasional doses so that I dont go crazy here. I brought my guitar along and played intermittently while snacking and drinking beer. He even made the sandwhiches with mayo, mustard, pickles and tomatoes instead of the dry sandwhiches they make here with ONLY cheese and meat...NO SAUCE people. ( I know, hard for us Americans to imagine a sandwhich with only meat and cheese on dry bread) Anyways, the country side was beautiful, peaceful and romantic and I thought that was it. That was my bday present.
Well, you're wrong Jessey!!! Next we stopped at my house, I made us some chamomile tea and we starting sipping when, all of the sudden, he said we had to go. I was like "huh?", where?, why? and I started to get nervous. I was wearing my signature sweatpants, hoody and baseball cap and was so worried he was gonna pull some stupid, surprise on me with people I barely knew with me looking stupid in my American attire. I also started worrying about how I LOVE surprises but how I also HATE them because if its something you dont like, that look of disappointment always creeps its way onto your face and I wasnt in the mood for social awkwardness. Anyhow, we started down the road on foot in the direction of his sister's house who is also a friend of mine. I was hoping and praying that we weren't going there for some strange surprise party with people that dont really know me. BUT Jesus kept saying "trust me" and I kept thinking that I had it all figured out and it was gonna suck. BUT then, we passed the street to his sisters, we stopped and he said "turn around, your present is behind you." I turned around to see a sign that said "Physical Therapy"...huh? Then he started explaining that he wanted to bring me here so that they could look at my hip since I always talked about how it had been hurting me for 10 years and how I never had health insurance to really get it looked at. My body and nerves suddently decompressed and I just felt so cared for in that moment. Somebody cared about my health. Rather than a stupid teddy bear or some ugly shirt that I will never wear again, a boyfriend cared about my health. I suddenly felt relaxed and like trusting my boyfriend for the first time in a long time(Yes, I understandably have trust issues). He came in with me while his friend/therapist took a look at everything and did all kinds of manipulations and massaging and gave me some interesting feedback. Once again, very impressed with the medical treatment compared to the U.S. They actually spend time with you here and at least pretend like they care about whats going on with you rather than treating you like another hamburger at a fastfood joint. In that initial visit without an x-ray or MRI, he basically confirmed that which I had already suspected but took it one step further. He said that because of years of softball and waitressing, one side of my body in certain areas is stronger than the other side (which I figured) and has pulled everything over, creating scoliosis but also (one step further) one eye to be more closed than the other, symetrical differences in my body AND face and possibly to have one ovary higher than the other, etc etc. As he said all this, I couldn't help but feel like a Salvador Dali or Picasso painting (coincidentally Spanish painters known for melting effects and lack of symmetry.). He noticed right away a lump on the right side of my innards and asked if I had a cyst on my ovaries. I said no but that I DID find out about a golfball-sized non-cancerous tumor on the right side of my uterus last year during my stint in Spain. Anyhow, if I need to fix it I will have to do the work which will start with strengthening the left side obliques and so on. If they take my insurance I may start going to physical therapy so that I dont end up a crooked old woman, with a crooked old cat, in a crooked old house or so the story goes. And last but not least, he bought me a little speaker system for my computer and ipods because my computer's sounds sucks ass and when we try and watch movies or I want to listen to music its pretty much a joke. I had mentioned it several times that I wanted to buy speakers and I now I know HE DOES LISTEN TO ME!!! Its so nice to have that confirmed finally. Sometimes having a relationship in another language I feel as though maybe I am not even speaking Spanish but some other language because the combination of just dating a man in general and then throwing another language on top of that, I feel like maybe I am speaking Yiddish because there are many miscomunications and misunderstandings to be had. Needless to say, he did good and I had a wonderful birthday that I couldnt have planned better for myself.
So today is Christmas and I am basically not doing anything besides taking ibuprofen for cramps while drinking a 40 oz of Amstel and writing on my blog at 5pm. Last night we celebrating at Jesus' aunt's house with a family dinner. It was really chill and once again I enjoyed myself in a nice laid-back way. (Could this mean I am getting old? Or that I am just not myself in another language/culture? Its a bit of both I would wager to say). Anyhow, his aunt is from Boston but has lived in Spain for 20+ years. She did study abroad in Sevilla, decided to stay one more year and then met her husband. They got married, had 4 kids, maintained a successful boomtruck business and then he passed away. She has made her life here with her kids and has an absolutely gorgeous Spanish-style house with a pool on the outskirts of town. She is supersweet and humble, works as an English professor. She speaks English with a slight Boston accent and speaks Spanish, suposedly, with an ever- so- faint accent that most Spaniards can't put a finger on where its from. Anyhow, we spent the evening there, starting out with Spanish-style appetizers and then moving into the American food for the main course of turkey, gravy, baked yams, stuffing and salads. It was all fabulous and I ate WAY too much.
It was cool because last year in that same house on New Year's Eve, I met Jesus for the first time. "Memories...all alone in the moonlight..." Also, last year I didnt feel very comfortable at all with my Spanish and I remember being so happy to talk to his aunt Maureen in English and we had a couple of long conversations that night in English. But this year, we hardly spoke a word of English to each other. Besides "Merry Christmas", "are these yams?", "my pleasure" and "everything was really good", we stuck to speaking to each other in Spanish. I love it...2 American girls speaking to each other in Spanish when it would have been easier to speak our native languages. And we kept to the Spanish script, communicating perfectly and felt no need to use English. YESS!!! Little by little things are improving. Not as fast as I would have liked but then again I am discovering that I am a VERY impatient person, who hardly EVER lets anything happen organically and it has been huge blind spot in my life. Anyhow, glad to be learning, improving and, little by little, enjoying myself, these small improvements and like they say "the little things." I am fortunate to be the position to learn these things and finally starting to enjoy doing it. Merry Christmas!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jessey, What a marvelous blog to read. Like I said you write so beautiful. I love reading about your adventures and it was wonderful to hear all about your Birthday activities. I'm also glad you found out about your hip problems by a real good therapist. How wonderful Jesus was concerned enough to get you help. I know you will have knowledge now to start getting it taken care of.
    I hope your Christmas day has been very comfortable for you. What a fun time at Jesus's aunts home. The meal sounds delcious. Uncle Jack will be here soon to go to Christmas Day Dinner so I'm signing off. Love you my Pooka Pooka. My itty bitty buddy. Love forever, Your Grams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Daughter, how comforting for me to hear that you were loved and nurtured on your birthday so far away from me my gypsy girl....I liked Jesus right off the get go and now I love him...he is my hero.

    Definately DO the Physical Therapy while you have the chance,they will teach you streches, moves, exersises that can get you heading back the right direction and in time correct much of your problem. I have seen so much good come from those guys...pitty more Americans cant afford to realize the bennifits of Physical Therapy..until they are totally disabled, then it is a really hard long road back... So do it for sure.

    Glad to hear your new place is working for you..I wish that I could come and visit again...that was soooooo much fun last year. I really had a wonderful time with you traveling Spain, something I will charish all my days !!!

    Also very glad to hear you are still playing music :) soul food.

    Happy New Year my Raggle Taggle Gypsy Girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessey! I love reading your blog because I can hear your voice saying it as I read it. as all great writers, you write the way you speak. I think you need to dedicate more time to your blog because you could have a book on your hands one day. I'm not kidding. anyway, I miss you and this made me feel so happy because as much as I miss you I don't want you to be anywhere else except where you are right now because I see that this is the perfect place for you. after living with you and being your best friend for all these years I know the things you always went back to: your dreams of meeting a Latin man, speaking Spanish fluently, traveling and seeing the world. you often were sad thinking you would never be able to do it and I knew you would so "told ya so!!!!" lol. but honestly girl, we need to skype or I will email u instead of text all this with my thumbs cuz they are hurting but I am sooooo glad Jesus got your hip figured out! aren't physical therapists amazing? they have way better exam skills than doctors for musculoskeletal stuff I think. I really hope you can keep going and they can help you. also you are putting yourself in a better position to no have to keep waitressing so that will help too. your birthday and Christmas sounded great which is remarkable bcuz those are hard times to be away. I think Jesus has proven himself to you quite a bit. you have all the reason in the world to not trust men I understand but I think you need to leave that aside for this man. all those desires to leave abroad and speak Spanish may have been gods way of bringing you to him you never know. so give it a full chance like you are doing. things are different with this guy compared to any other guy I've known you with. try to trust him as much as you expect him to trust you ok. so now that you have wifi and speakers we should be able to skype soon. love you! Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh MY!! What lovely comments from 3 of my favorite ladies in the world. Thank you so much all 3 of you. I can't believe I forgot to check this blog to see if there were comments. I always forget but those were some great ones. I love you all VERY much!! Thank you for the support and wonderful insights.

    ReplyDelete