Saturday, December 18, 2010

Just An Observation

There is a cologne here that lots of men are wearing these days that would be considered a woman's perfume in the U.S...just an observation. The pharmacies here are like our Starbucks..one on every corner. A lot of the Dr. Office's here are open for walk-ins at night and you can still get a doctor to make a house call like in the old American movies...just an observation. I don't think costumer service is valued or expected like in the U.S...they don't grind your pepper for you or grate your parmesan over your pasta in restaurants, and often people kind of throw your change back to you rather than making sure your hand is out and ready. Just an observation. The little children seem to be much sweeter than the kids in the U.S. I had a little 5 yr old boy in one of my classes, who wanted my attention over the rest of the kids at his table, put his hand under my chin and gently cradle my face while he told me all the names of his family members while looking at me with his big brown eyes. Too cute!!! And every day when I enter their classes, the kids all jump up to run and hug me while they all yell my name over and over again. And then there's this little girl, Julia, with huge glasses and a tiny little face who just looks up at me the whole time I'm teaching and says "que guapa eres" (how pretty you are) over and over again with a look of wonderment. Even some of the 5th graders tell me they love me in English when they hug me, but I've noticed that the 6th graders are a little too cool for that. I feel like as Americans we expect everyone to be "tough". We try to breed toughness and strength into our kids. Many dads seem to have the attitude that they don't want their boys to grow up to be "pussies". This is both good AND bad. My opinion is that the kids here are a little babied compared to kids back home, they get more attention and affection. If they get hurt even in the slightest, they make a much bigger deal than we would back home. We would say "shake it off" or "walk it off" or "suck it up" or "you're okay." I don't see that here at all. As a result, the kids just seem, I don't know, softer. Which is also both good AND bad. I sure haven't had any kids try to hit me, bite me, head butt me, scratch me, etc. here. This summer I was always having to implement the submission moves to keep from gettin abused by certain students of the same age group back in the U.S. Oh by the way, they've put up a little ice skating rink in the middle of town for Christmas. The temperature here right now is ranging from 40 to 60 degrees. It probably costs quite a bit to keep it cold here as there hasn't been a single speck of frost this winter which is probably why it is so expensive to go skating. It costs 6€ for a half hour which is like $8 or $9 and if you don't bring your own gloves they make you purchase gloves. I am tempted to go show off some of my moves but by the time the half hour is over I will just be gettin warmed up. So far the Christmas candy is not impressing me much...but of course I am eating it anyways. I just need more good chocolate in my life here instead of this waxy crap they call chocalate. The women here look GOOD..seriously, there are so many beautiful women here and we're talking makeup, hair, heels, the whole nine. I never see anyone run. I feel like I am the only one in the entire city that will take off running across the street to beat traffic or whatever..just an observation. I also never see anyone eating in public (besides inside a restaurant). In the U.S. it is common to see people walking while eating or driving while eating. I seriously don't think I've ever seen anyone doing that here....not even a lollipop or an ice cream cone. They don't take their coffees to go like everyone does back home. You never, EVER see people walking the streets with their coffee or frapaccino in hand. And drive thru? Whats a drive thru? And they aren't big tippers here. In the U.S. you are pretty much considered a douche bag if you tip under 15% but here that would probably only happen on a real special occasion or at a fancy restaurant which probably explains part of the reason good service is not strived for like in the U.S. Some servers would probably floss your teeth for you after your meal if you asked, all for that almighty dollar. Here, you could sit there all night without your check, a napkin, another drink...whatever, unless you flag down your waiter to let them know that you need something. Also, we say "excuse me", "please" and "thank you" A LOT more in the U.S. People here seem to be loud, abrupt and impatient with people they don't know out in public but REALLY sweet and loving with the people they do know...just an observation. I just discovered that there is a card that people under 30 get here that entitles them to a 20% discount on everything from bus tickets, train tickets, clothing....depending on the company, but you don't have to be a student or anything..just under 30. And if you're retired, you get to ride all the city busses for FREE....just an observation..okay, so observations mixed with a little opinion and perception. I can't help it, I studied Psychology for the love of God :)

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing with us the culture differences there- it really makes a person think about the way we live. I remember the slight and major differences I noticed when I was traveling the states- its quite interesting to hear about other people's way of life- and a lot different when coming from a personal friend rather than the news or a documentary. I have to tell you that I have already been overloaded with chocolate goodness for Christmas and its still a week away. Message me your address and I might ship you out some! :) Everyone needs a little chocolate love...even in Spain! - Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.. what a difference. Makes you realize how fast paced the U.S. really is. We all seem to be driven to work and keep life moving as fast as we can. I hate that. I would love to just sit back, relax, and enjoy the scenery. Oh and the little kiddos have it right.. you are beautiful, what sweethearts!

    Do you have any fun plans for your upcoming birthday?! Hope so! Take care hun! --KP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks KP!!! You're such a sweetie pie!!! What you realize the most when you actually try living in another country is that there is good and bad everywhere. There are some things that I am missing so much about the U.S. and other things that I am dreading going back to. How much we work in the U.S. is one of the things that will taking some readjusting to. But it also makes me realize how lucky and spoiled I am to live in the U.S. We should all really appreciate how great we have it there. We can find and obtain just about anything we want on any given day. We have variety and options that most people only dream of. Take care and Merry Christmas Guapa!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes we do have it lucky, I'm very thankful for all the opportunities we do have. I just wish we didn't have to work so much. I would much rather spend 40 hours a week with family and friends then sit behind a desk. I just realize how precious time really is with a little one. Time flies, and before I know it Leon will be running off to college. OMG! Okay I need to slow it down. lol

    Hope you had a wonderful birthday and a Merry Christmas. Be sure to bring in the New Year right with a toast to your many accomplishments! ♥ --KP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi My Precious Jessey,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog on your life over there and your observations.
    What a wonderful world we live in. It is so exciting to see how others live and be able to join in with them as best we can and be able understand their culture and way of life.
    You write with such fatastic expressions. I hope these next 5 months go as well as these past 4 months went.
    I remember over in Germany the kids had good manners out of the home, but in the home they were a lot like the kids in the US sometimes very naughty.
    Human nature in most cases is about the same every where.
    Love you dearly and forever.
    Grams

    ReplyDelete