Saturday, October 16, 2010

Un Dia Redondo

So, as most of you know, Tony and I split up and he left me here in Spain to head back to what he wants in Ellensburg. After nearly a week of hardly any sleep, lots of crying and a whole pack of cigarettes ( I don't really smoke), I was ready to stop the self-loathing. I started by going out for tapas last night with Irene and Juliana. We went to a really delicious little place here in Cordoba. We had patatas bravas (fried potatoes with 2 sauces, 1 spicy and the other creamy, poured over the top), roasted red pepper stuffed with white fish(again with a sauce poured over the top), fried anchovies (yuck!), ensaladilla russa(russian potato salad), and jamon iberico(cured, shaved ham). What's great is that I am starting to finally find the good food in Spain. It started out a little rough since I didn't know where to go or what to order. Things are looking up in the Spanish food department. I came home, played around on the internet and then took a much needed sleeping pill.

When I awoke well rested at 10 am, I went up on the roof which is my new place to ponder things. I brought my notepad and began writing....a song...yes people, a song. In 20 minutes, I had written an entire song. I sent it to my brother Anthony and hopefully he can compose something on the guitarra.

Then, Irene's parents showed up from Huelva and invited me to lunch. I said I didn't have money and they said "in Spain when someone invites you to lunch that means they are paying." I said I needed to change and then we could go. I have been in Spain for exactly one month and this was the first time I rode in a car. Kinda funny, but you don't need a car here at all. In fact I think its almost more of a hassle to have a car in Cordoba because there are such narrow cobblestone streets and they're filled with people all the time.

They took me to a really charming traditional looking Spanish restaurant. We had beers, tapas, a main course, dessert and sherry. For tapas, we had a big dish of Salmorejo, a cold tomato type soup with boiled egg crumbles and olive oil drizzled on top. Then, I had the Morcilla con Arroz which is like a chicken blood sausage thats black and seasoned with cumin and other spices. I know right? Irene's parents orded a huge plate of little heads of lettuce quarted and topped with raw, smoked salmon and black fish eggs sort of like caviar. Also, there were slices of green tomatoes interspersed and, of course, garlic and olive oil drizzled on top. Then, for the main course I had Lomo con Tomate which is pork in a tomato sauce with fries all around it and I dipped my fries in the sauce. But I couldn't for the life of me finish all my food. Oh and I can't forget dessert...two types of flan and a glass of sherry on the house. I got a to-go box which used to be an embarassment to Spaniards but now in la crisis (economic chrisis), apparently its now acceptable to get a to-go box.

After lunch we walked around the Juderia looking at silver jewelry for Irene's mother. She bought a pretty silver floral necklace and seemed happy as a clam. They talked of wanting to find an Arabic tea house in that area. We stumbled upon a place and went in to sit and have tea. As we sat there sipping hierbabuena we noticed that it looked more Egyptian than Arabic but very cool nonetheless. Its was so relaxing there that I felt as tho I could fall asleep right there on the Egyptian couches. Afterwards we hit the narrow cobblestone streets of Cordoba again. This time we stopped in a unique shop that had a really cool old patio with draping jasmine. We smelled the jasmine and looked at all the neat trinkets. They had tons of leather stuff, things you wouldn't expect to be made from leather like bowls and clocks and interesting jewlry. Irene's parents asked if they could buy me a leather bracelet as a gift. I think they felt really sorry for me after hearing about me and Tony. They wanted to take me under their wing and I let them. I picked out a turquoise, textured, wavy, leather bracelet. After that we stopped AGAIN at a cool arabic looking bar and they ordered coffee and coca cola so that we could use their bathroom. Then, we headed back to the car. How nice of them to take me out for the day!!! On our way to the car, Irene's mom said it was a dia redondo (basically a well-rounded day). I like that description... dia redondo.

When I got home I went up to my roof again, this time to watch the sunset with a view of the whole city. I drank a beer, watched the bats flutter around in the dusk and thought to myself...I am in the RIGHT place right now. Here in Spain, regardless of recent personal hardship, I am in the right place. This is where I am supposed to be right now. I know this.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a lovely day! And you're so right that you are in the RIGHT place right now!

    I hope you soak in every bit of Spain!

    ReplyDelete