Sunday, May 22, 2011

Toledo




















Our first night in Toledo my mommy dearest had to catch up on her sleep and try to shake the jet-leg a little. She had slept a solid 12 hours that night when I decided I should wake her up so we could explore the city. Since my step dad has her spoiled with fresh coffee delivered bedside every day back home, she requested that I bring some coffee directly to her bed. Since unlike Seattle, coffees to-go aren't the norm here in Spain, I was a little worried at how I would get her coffee to her bedside that morning. But since I love her, I pulled a few strings in the restaurant down below and they let me take the glass cup up to our hostal and she got her precious coffee in bed. And joking aside, I was glad to do it:) I was excited to have her with me.
Toledo was cool because it has the Gothic architecture which gives it a little bit of a cold, spooky and mysterious feel. It feels a bit like a fairy tale and you can easily envision knights in shining armor riding around on their white horses. Also, it is built in a river valley which gives it lots of hills to hike up. I actually was looking to lose a few pounds so I welcomed all these butt busting hills. Luckily my mom is a great travel partner and had no problem keepin up. In fact I'd say she kept up better than most 20 something year olds that I know. We spent the entire day trekking up and down the steep hills of the city. We walked down to the river by the gorgeous bridge, into the agave, back up to the hostel, around to shops, and basically just took pictures all day.
In Toledo, I wanted to buy a knife since I often wish I had one here for various reasons AND I had heard that Toledo is famous for its knives and swords. A sword, not so easy to take back to the U.S., so I bought a really cool, Gothic looking pocket knife with a dragon's head on the end and a sketch of a dragon on the side. Its pretty sick!!! I have used it a lot already...at picnics that is. But I also just like knowing that I have it JUST IN CASE. Although I've been informed that it is illegal here to carry one. Oops.
I know everyone hates to hear this but I haven't been altogether very stoked on the food in Spain. For my taste buds, everything seems bland and repetitive to me. I will later blog on exactly why I think this is in a later blog. BUT, I had some of the best food that I've had in Spain at a restaurant in Toledo. We read about it in my tourist guide book and thought we should try and find it. It was worth the trouble we had finding it for sure. It's called Bar LudeƱa in la plaza Magdalena. It was completely full on their patio and there was a wait list for the restaurant, so we just saddled up to the bar and ordered what the bartender suggested. We had a sampler of sausages that tasted like they could have been deer meat. We had a delicious stew called caramusas with deer meat, peas and a slightly spicy tomato sauce. We also had sardines in a garlic, vinegar and oil which was THE BOMB. I have tried these boquerones en vinagre many times in Spain but this recipe was by far the most tasty. Every little bite was scrumptious and we left that restaurant feeling fat and happy.
Other things we enjoyed in Toledo were the manchengo cheese with membrillo, which is like a fruit butter, spread on top and then the little mazapan treats that Toledo is famous for. The mazapan is something that I have seen in the U.S. as well and apparently started originally somewhere in Greece and has spread all over the world. It is made in large quantities in Toledo by the nuns there. Toledo was at one time considered the spiritual capital of the world and still has a lot of convents where they make mazapan for a living.

No comments:

Post a Comment