Monday, May 2, 2011

Finally, Some Spanish Recipes

For those of you who know me, you know that I LOVE LOVE LOVE to cook. The majority of MY cooking has been the result of experimenting in the kitchen. But now I realize that if you're going to cook traditional food from another country you'd better follow a recipe or at least have someone native to that country teach you how. So, I asked around for some ladies to teach me step by step some of the traditional recipes that I have enjoyed while here in Cordoba. This first one is a typical dessert that you see a lot of during Semana Santa. It's super-easy to make..almost like making french toast but it turns out quite different as you will see:) Also, for those of you who know me, I am a mad scientist in the kitchen but I don't generally measure anything. So, I am sorry if my recipes are a little vague but if your any friend of mine than you're smart and can figure this out without too much trouble. Just use common sense and experiment with these recipes a little. Buena suerte and keep your eyes peeled for more recipes to come!!

Torrijas
  • a couple cups of milk
  • a couple cinnamon sticks
  • bread(preferably the kind for good french toast)
  • a half a lemon peel
  • ground cinnamon
  • sugar
  • oil(preferably olive oil)
  • 2 eggs


Put milk, cinnamon and lemon peel in a bowl and let sit for at least 30 min.
Meanwhile scramble 2 eggs in a shallow dish. Mix your cinnamon and sugar and keep on a nearby plate. Shortly thereafter, you will want to start your oil heating in a frying pan. The oil should be deep enough so that you feel like you are almost deep frying the torrijas. Then, dip the slices of bread into the milk mixture one at a time, making sure that they are soaked through completely with milk. Then dip them on both sides in the egg and then on to the frying pan.
When bread is golden on both sides remove the torrija and place it onto the plate where you have the cinnamon and sugar mixture. Using a spoon cover both sides of the bread with the mixture.













Let chill for at least 30 minutes before eating so that the inside firms up a little. Buen provecho!!













5 comments:

  1. Great! Muchísimas gracias. Unas torrijas :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your breakfast dish looks yummy. I will wait till you come home and you can show me your cooking talent in making it for me.
    I sure hope you write in your blog something about your time with your Mom and your adventures.
    I love you and I have so enjoyed your blog on all you have done in Sunny Spain.
    Love ya lots,
    Grams

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, maybe I will cook it for you when I get home since it sounds as tho you are not doing much cooking these days ;) I will write about me and mom's adventures when I have time. I am still catching up with the recipes first. Hard to believe but this blog is actually a lot of work..especially since I first have to edit all my videos on the computer and freeze all the images if I want them to be photos. Eventually you will get ur story Grams.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM!!! I'm gonna have to try this soon! I love french toast, and this looks way better! Thanks for sharing! :-) --KP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, let me know what you think Kristina. Somethin different is always fun :)

    ReplyDelete