Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The New Piso

Two days later I got a text from Pacqui saying that I'm in. She said for me to come by tomorrow and we could exchange money and such. When I got there at 11, guess what? Nobody answered AGAIN. But this time I had a lot more confidence and just kept ringin that buzzer until she finally answered through the intercom.

When I got to the 3rd floor, she was waiting for me at the door. She said the other roommate was going to come over so we could meet each other. In the meantime, she brought me to the big room with the queen sized bed and told me that she had been thinking. She thought it was kinda silly to have me and Tony sleeping in the little single bed when he comes. She said "so, while you're boyfriend's here why don't you have this room and bed and pay 300€ a month while he's here and pay 235€ when he's not here for having the bigger room and bed." Sounded like a pretty good deal to me. But I did feel a little guilty because I didn't know where she would then sleep and she IS the homeowner afterall.

As it turns out she had applied for a job in Granada and had just found out today that she got the position. She is a flamenco dance teacher (how cool!!) and has a secret boyfriend who lives in Granada that her parents don't know about. She's going to stay with him during the week and then he is going to drive her back to Cordoba for the weekends and spend them with her here. This weekend she showed up with a mountain of stuff from IKEA (pronounced EE-KAY-UH). Yes, they have those here too, in fact everywhere. Just about every major city has one. All of us roommates, including Juliana, spent the weekend helping put together bookshelves, lamps, tables, desks, chairs and nightstands from IKEA. I learned lots of new words pertaining to carpentry and building this weekend. She also bought us our own towels, wastebasket, closet organizers, sheets, pillows, and curtains. I feel so spoiled right now. I thought I would have to spend this entire 9 months with my one pink sheet that I brought, my thin white towel from Olympic Medical Center and would have to buy a pillow once I got here. When she advertised her piso as furnished, she wasn't playin. She has gone above and beyond the call of duty in making sure that her roommates have every thing they need in order to be comfortable.

Irene (pronounced EE-Ray-nay) is my other roommate who just moved here from Huelva. She is here in Cordoba studying translation and interpretation in English and Spanish. Her and I go back and forth in both languages which is nice for both of us. I have a feeling she is going to teach me a lot. We are able to practice and learn from each other and when we can't explain something in one language we switch to the other. So, we are able to communicate pretty well. She has a girlfriend from Huelva who visits her here on the weekends.

Tony and I will probably be here on the weekdays and then travel around a little on the weekends. So that should work out pretty well. That way they can have a break from the strange foreigners and the house won't be too crowded with 3 couples in one tiny apartment on the weekends.

9 comments:

  1. When are you going to bring up to date your Blog?
    I keep checking it to see what is new.
    Gg

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be very busy.
    I'm sure getting excited to hear from you on your Blog about what is going on in Spain.
    Gg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jessey,
    I pray you are getting plenty of positive encouragement.
    I love you so much.
    Your Grams Forever

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm very worried about you.
    I'm asking God to protect you and help you look at the future with Him making your days happy and bright.
    Never forget, He says he will never leave you or forsake you. Sometimes we are the ones that try to move away from Him, but He is still keeping watch over us as we make different choices in our lives, without realy realizing it He still is caring for our needs and hoping we will choose to love and honor Him and trust in Him to take care of us through thick and Thin..
    Grams

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you grams. I know. Don't worry though. You have enough people to worry about. I am going to be fine. I am a survivor like you and many other people that I know. There are lessons for me to learn here apparently. Hard lessons. And those never come without a cost. Otherwise we would never change. love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was so much fun to see you on Skype.
    You look fantastic.
    I'm glad you answered me on this Blog..
    I will always be worried for you but with trust that God will take care of what I worry about. He said not to worry, but He knows we will and do, but He will here us and respond to our concerns. Thank God for that.
    Love you very much.
    Grams

    ReplyDelete
  7. When in Rome do as the Romans do.
    I learned in Germany to live like them to the best of my ability.
    To be a good ambasador from America, but I sometimes still goofed up. They were very critical of people in their country who did not live like them. They said we were guests and should conduct ourself properly.
    They did not understand our culture. I'm sure it is not the same now. It was 55 years ago and not as modern as it is in 2010.
    Are the people just curious about the holes in your jeans or are they offened.??? It is good not to be to big a Rebel in another country.
    Use discretion as much as possible, so they will respect you as an American that they are glad is visiting their Country.
    Love ya bunches,
    Grams

    ReplyDelete
  8. No, I don´t think they are offended. Just fascinated. I think they kinda like it. The ones that comment at least. U should see me tho, I am dressing pretty european these days..aside from the ripped jeans. I wear my black boots a lot and I have 2 new black european looking jackets and I brought lots of scarves. he he. I´ll send you a pic when I get one.

    ReplyDelete