Saturday, November 20, 2010

Ripped Jeans

If you really want to fascinate the people of Cordoba and have an endless conversation starter, wear ripped jeans. It seems to be working for me and Juliana. We both have ripped jeans that we brought from back home. It seems perfectly normal for us to wear them, as you ALMOST can't find jeans without rips already made in the U.S. Plus, I love em. And jeans that wear out on their own like this, preciosa....they are like a treasure to me and I can't get rid of them until the ass rips out of em. So, I have 2 pairs that I wear regularly here in Spain..not to school, but around town and to salsa class or wherever. They are only ripped in the knees and a small rip in the upper thigh. But I am telling you EVERYWHERE we go, somebody says SOMETHING. Little kids try to put their fingers in the holes and tickle your legs or try to rip them more. So, I have to be careful around children. Men stare. Big surprise. One of my salsa teachers, Alex, who is learning English, said to me last night "broken jeans" and I said "you mean ripped jeans?" and he said "whatever. sexy jeans". Its so funny to me that he said broken jeans cuz thats a direct translation from Spanish to English because ripped and broken means the same thing in Spanish but in English there are two seperate words. These are the types of mistakes that I probably make all the time trying to translate from English to Spanish. But anyways, it seems as tho these pants cause quite a stir and I love it!!! Makes me feel like a rebel americana.

No comments:

Post a Comment