Sunday, November 7, 2010

Tour of the Castle

Here's a little video tour of the castle I went to last weekend. Took me a little while to get it edited but here it is. Its a 30 minute drive outside of Cordoba and I can't remember the name of that little white village below. The castle is a restored castle from a LONG time ago but once again I can't remember how long ago. I know that they have found Roman and Iberic coins on the castle grounds and the Iberic ones date back before the Roman times. They've also found measures and weights, arrow points, bullet casings, jewelry and treasures from when the Spaniards were trying to take over the world. The footage of the swords didn't turn out very good because there was a glare from the glass casing, however; they had really cool sword replicas from legends such as Columbus and Robin Hood on display. The entrance fee was 5€ I think, which is almost $7 (depending on the day) but Lola and Antonio paid my way because they invited me and thats what you do in Spain if you are the one who invited. The little boy in the video, that is so stinkin cute and says "hello" to the camera, is Alvaro. That's Lola and Antonio's oldest and I teach him private English lessons twice a week. And then you see his little brother in the video as well but I can't remember his name for the life of me right now. Lola is the English teacher that I work with the most at school. I assist her with a lot of her English classes and serve as a model of how a native speaker sounds. Her husband Antonio teaches English at a high school here in Cordoba. They lived in Washington D.C. for a year before they had Alvaro and loved it. In fact Antonio wants to go back to the U.S. to live for a little while again. When I asked about what they thought of the U.S., they had mostly good things to say. Lola loved how the trees looked they were on fire in the fall on the east coast because here they don't have a true fall. And everything gets greener here in the fall, not colored. They liked that you can ask for a doggie bag if you can't finish your food at a restaurant and you don't have to be embarassed. The only things that they didn't like was that the people live and die by the clock. Everybody seems to be on a tight schedule leaving very little room for spontaneity or to just relax. They also thought it was weird that we move away from our families a lot. Here in Spain most people live where there family lives whether they can find a job or not. They may go away for school some times but they usually come back to where their family is from, to live pretty much the rest of their lives. The stereotype of Spaniards being very family oriented is true so it seems. Anyways, enjoy the castle!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I loved the video of the Castle.
    It reminded me of the castles that Robert and I and the kids saw when living in Europe.
    I like reading your blog. You make it always so interesting.
    Love in Jesus,
    Grams

    ReplyDelete